[AJD] test and update - Speed Hour Meters

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Tue Mar 8 09:17:18 PST 2005

Dennis:

These are the same Speed Hour meters Borg Warner sells to JD except the
seller (Nick Barbieri (sp?) - NY Fireman) removes the bezel and face and
puts on a new face which reads the proper RPM and ground speed for the
respective tractor. And yes the face then has the old JD part number on it
from the 50's, not the subbed number.

So a better description would be NEW Borg Warner Speed Hour Meters with
modified faces to have correct ground speed and RPM. Not presently licensed
by JD. No modifications are made to the gearing, that I am aware of just the
face of the meter is matched to the tractor you want. At least not on the
one I purchased for a 620. Other models might require gear changes too.

These read correctly as opposed to the "Universal" Speed Hour Meters that JD
sells. I'm not sure about all of these but if the meter and tractor are set
up for 1:1 gearing then the "Universal" JD meters just read incorrectly on
ground speed, RPM and PTO RPM, not the hour meter.

I guess the question mostly is: do you spend $140 on a speed hour meter from
JD that reads the hours correctly and everything else is wrong or do you
spend another $100.00 + - to get it all correct.

I'm a little disappointed in the description that Nick uses in his eBay ads
for these. I think he could be a little more forthcoming in the description
of what these really are. When I received my meter I was a bit disgruntled
by the tool marks on the side of the can which comes from either the removal
or reattachment of the bezel. On first impression I thought I had received a
refurbished meter rather than a truly new unit. An incorrect first
impression.

In checking around, I found out I was going to spend as much or more on
refurbishing my original meter vs buying one of these. The advantage of
refurbishing an original is that the original hours are maintained if they
are truly a reflection of actual hours.  I'm not sure one can depend on that
very much.

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290

storeroom door