[Steam-engine] Annual Boiler Steam Test?

Dan Donaldson ddonaldson at tampatank.com
Tue Mar 8 06:05:11 PST 2005

Quote :
" In England, where there are a large number of steam societies and numerous
hobbyist built model boilers, there is a practice of performing a steam test
prove the setting and capacity of safety valves. This is performed with a
"good fire" and the blower "full on." A successful test is one where the
boiler
pressure does not rise more than 10% above the working pressure."

    I may be wrong but isn't that the purpose of calculating your heating
surface area and grate area.  That calculation should determine the amount
of steam you can produce and in turn determine the size releif valve
required.  Some let me know if I am wrong about that.

Dan Donaldson
26 HP Advance Straw Burner