[Steam-engine] Annual Boiler Steam Test?

PWTraubert at aol.com PWTraubert at aol.com
Mon Mar 7 20:49:53 PST 2005

Has anyone ever heard of a requirement of performing a steam test of a boiler
in excess of working pressure?

In England, where there are a large number of steam societies and numerous
hobbyist built model boilers, there is a practice of performing a steam test to
prove the setting and capacity of safety valves. This is performed with a
"good fire" and the blower "full on." A successful test is one where the boiler
pressure does not rise more than 10% above the working pressure.

Texas has an exemption from inspection for boilers below a certain size. The
age and code of construction of the boiler does not constitute a part of the
exemption. In order to be covered in case of an injury the group I am
associated with has adopted a set of standards to cover Texas exempt boilers. A
proposal has been made to add a steam test of 1.25 X working pressure. This is in
addition to the 1.5 X working pressure hydrostatic test.

Is it just me or is a steam test really necessary? What would it prove? I am
totally against it. This is especially true for historic boilers like the
definition that the National Board has put forth in their recommended inspection
practices.

Thoughts? Ideas/

Thanks,

Patrick Traubert