[AT] OT - zero turn mowers

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Mon Mar 7 16:21:39 PST 2005

Kreig:

I too became all enthused about zero turn radius mowers until I learned
about a couple of their shortcomings. And the shortcomings are pronounced
here in the NW. If the units you are looking at truly provide direction via
the front wheel or wheels then what I am about to describe is less
pronounced.

Typically, zero turn radius mowers get their intended direction from the two
rear wheels. Not from steering the front wheels. Then in our typically NW
wet weather, not like what we have had the last month or so, if you have
uneven traction on the rear wheels, maintaining the desired direction
becomes a real problem. This problem is exacerbated by mowing on side hills
where there is much more weight on the downhill side rear wheel.

JD has a really neat mower called the "Spin Steer Technology" SST zero turn
radius mower. It does not work well in our climate and rough/hilly terrain
for the reasons stated above. To try to ameliorate the problem, JD was
supplying additional rear weights, free of charge, but from what I have
heard that didn't fully solve the problem.

Assuming you have a flat & smooth mowing surface that doesn't have unequal
wet spots it might work well. But, I think a good responsible dealer will
warn you of these potential issues before they sell you one.

Come to think of it I haven't seen any "spin steer" mowers displayed
recently at the local JD dealers.

Here is what JD recommends if you have rough terrain, ditches or hillsides
in your lawn:

"You've indicated that your lawn may have hillsides, ditches and/or rough
terrain. The LX277 All-Wheel-Steer Lawn Tractor might be a better choice for
you. Of course, your local John Deere dealer can discuss the full-line of
lawn and garden products and help you to determine which equipment is best
suited for your lawn. If you're still interested in learning more about the
Spin Steer TechnologyT Lawn Tractor, read on."

YMMV.

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290

storeroom door