[AJD] darn electrical systems

Michael Dixon mpmbd at yadtel.net
Sun Mar 6 10:40:28 PST 2005

First, never disconnect the battery on a vehicle while it is running. For a
test, remove the negative battery cable and connect a voltmeter between the
(now empty) battery terminal and the (now disconnected) cable. Any current
draw at all will result in a voltage reading on the meter. When the draw
stops, the drain has ceased. We had a mysterious drain on an Allis B. The
owner had washed it in preparation for a show. In the process, the
insulation on the (pull type) starter switch was saturated and the voltage
drop was about 3/4 volt- enought to discharge the battery overnight. The
meter was the only diagnostic tool used.