[AT] anybody close to this?

robinson at svs.net robinson at svs.net
Tue Mar 1 13:18:33 PST 2005

	Thank goodness I'm not...   ;-)    ;-)

	If I was I would have to be bidding... It is rare to buy just a lightweight gear alone
for less than $125 to $150 around here. I have gotten a few cheap but can't find them
often. I keep watching since we are getting deeper into the hay business. I still have a
few flat beds to build before summer. Without going out and counting I think we will have
7 (or is it 8) flat bed hay wagons going into this season. I also have several flatbed
trailers that I might be able to use if I build a dolly to go under the hitches so that
the baler hitch doesn't carry the weight. I also have a wagon that has a large flare box
that I believe we can use in a pinch if I build a platform on the front to stand on to
load it from. I have an extension tongue for it.

	I am getting ready to go pick up my jointer grinder planer down in KY this week. I plan
to use the WUV (worlds ugliest van) and a low trailer I have to pick it up. I believe it
will be a lot easier to load than on a pickup and I would have to remove the bed tool box
if I used one of them. This trailer is a small stock trailer and sits pretty low to the
ground. It was made in Colorado as a calf/pony trailer. I used to use it for small
numbers of sheep but have not had the stock sides on it for a few years. It originally
had a plywood floor (5' X 8') and it was pretty bad in spots. I had just kept adding a
layer of scrap pieces to the weak spots when I hauled something and it was getting built
up so high that I almost needed to get a ladder to get up to it...   ;-)     I stripped
the old floor off yesterday. I have it in the shop today and did a couple of minor
welding repairs to it while the frame was bare. I will give it a brush job (a brush, not
a mop)   :-)   of Rustoleum Regal Red which is a very close match to IHC Red. I have
green treated 2' X 6' lumber to put down the new floor with. I have had the lumber inside
several weeks so it has dried down pretty well. The treatment plant is in shelbyville
(Culpepper) and most of the local lumber yards just buy untreated and have it treated
locally. The only problem is that sometimes when you buy it it is almost still dripping
and it weighs a ton.
	I often use this trailer to haul my #$%& CUB with. I also haul a lot of small lots of
bales with it. I can get about 50 bales on it. It has a wide wheel track and really tows
nice. It is going to be nice to have it looking good for a change.

--
"farmer", Esquire
At Hewick Midwest

Paternal Robinson's here by way of Norway (Clan Gunn), Scottish Highlands,
Cleasby Yorkshire England, Virginia, Kentucky then Indiana. Here 100 years
before the revolution.

Francis Robinson
Central Indiana USA
robinson at svs.net