[Steam-engine] Reworking Governor

Ken Majeski fuller_johnson1 at msn.com
Tue Mar 1 14:16:12 PST 2005

Well... What Kind of Governor do you have...???? I have messed with Waters,
Judson and Pickering. And all have had Brass spool valves. What I did with
one was to true up the spool valve and then replace the Brass rings in the
body and bore them to size. Opinions will vary widely as far as what
clearance to have. I have found a total of .004 to .005 works well BUT
others have said less. Yes if they are too tight they can and Will lock up.
I think it also depends if they have guides like the Judson or are more
plain like the Pickering. I remember one guy a few years ago.... He really
was going to make his Good.... So he had only about .001 clearance... And
you geussed it... When he steamed it up it Locked Tight....

If yours is Cast iron I would see no problem with building it up with brass
as that what most of them are made of anyhow.. Pay carefull attention that
you don't mess up the balance by having one seat or one end of the spool
higher than the other....Both ends must open at the same time... The
governor valve has to be ballanced to work well.... Thats the reason for the
bypass port along side the valve...

Does yours have replaceable brass rings in the body like most of the rest of
them...??? Nothing WORSE than a Governor that overuns with the stem all the
way down... Then when the saw hits the log and the stem gets up far enough
it is too late....

Ken Majeski, Ellsworth Wis. Case Steam Engine, Minneapolis Steam Engine,
Rumely Oilpulls H, F, & R. Website, Http://www.pressenter.com/~kmajeski/