[Steam-engine] Reworking Governor

badams at tractors.bloomington.in.us badams at tractors.bloomington.in.us
Tue Mar 1 08:41:40 PST 2005

Andy,
 	I would be quite comfortable using brazing rod.  The
linear coefficient of expansion per degree centigrade for brass/bronze is
17-22 X 10 -6, for cast iron it's 8.5-10.5 X 10 -6  On a 2" spool over a
150 degree operating range it would seem to be a minor factor if the
brass/bronze is well attached.
 	The major issue with building up the spool might be keeping it
from warping and cracking as you add material.  Not my area of expertise.
 	It seemed to me it would be easy/fun to make a new spool from a
hunk of brass.
Hope this helps,
Brice