[Steam-engine] Reworking Governor

Bob Smith bobsmith5 at verizon.net
Tue Mar 1 07:05:29 PST 2005

Many of the on-line metal suppliers offer high grade cast-iron billets in
various shapes so you can machine your own.

I think one of these suppliers is named "metalmart".  Try a Google search on
that argument for the full link.

    Best wishes,  Bob Smith

Andy glines wrote:
> Good point Ken.  I forgot that not all spools are made
> the same.  I think that many are cast bronze.  My
> spool is cast iron so matching the material may be a
> little tricky.
> --- Ken Hough  <k4sb at niia.net> wrote:
>
>> What's the material the spool is made of. Match it.
>> The expansion rate will be the
>> same under heat. Another thought, there is always
>> some tolerance between the spool
>> and the walls. Machine it too close and it may seize
>> up.
>> Ken
>>
>> I had a chance to take a good look at the governor
>> on
>> the Huber this weekend.  What I found didn't
>> surprise
>> or upset me.  What I observed was normal wear in the
>> valve itself.  The the seats are slightly out of
>> round
>> where the spool slid in and out for many years.  The
>> spokes on the spool are worn also.  My plan is to
>> bore
>> the seats to true them up and the build up the spool
>> and turn it to match the seat.  What is the best way
>> to build up the spool?  I can braze it but I'm
>> concerned that the brass will not hold up well and I
>> will have to do the job again in short order.  What
>> do
>> you think?
>>
>> =====
>> Andy Glines
>> Evansville, IN

> =====
> Andy Glines
> Evansville, IN

---   Avoid computer viruses, Practice safe hex  ---

-- Specializing in small, cost effective
    embedded control systems --

http://www.smithmachineworks.com/embedprod.html

Robert L. (Bob) Smith
Smith Machine Works, Inc.