[AT] Re: Big round baler?

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Thu Jun 30 11:00:28 PDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: <Edchainsaw at aol.com>
To: <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Thursday, June 30, 2005 11:09 AM
Subject: [AT] Re: Big round baler?

> after 25yrs of  round bales  and  watching others  and  even listening to
> the forums more so lately  I would say  if  you  found an older  New
Holland
> chain style baler  (they  are cheap)  you would be fine.

This is an interesting subject as I am also considering going to round
bales. Not that I have a lot of hay to put up but the square bales are a bit
too labour intensive for my aging knees and I could handle big round bales
with tractor hydraulic power much easier. I've heard both good and bad
opinions on the New Holland chain balers. They do seem to sell fairly cheap.
I've looked at a pretty good looking model 847 NH thats priced around $3000
right now although I have heard of them selling for far less south of the
border. I've heard that if the chain assembly ever needs replacing it is a
big expensive job, but how often would this have to be done? Are chain
oilers a possibillity on these balers and would they add to the life of the
chain?
Haying could be reallyl interesting this summer as we can't seem to get
three dry days in a row anymore. A lot of people have gone to silage for
that reason.

Ralph in Sask.
http://lgoff.sasktelwebsite.net/