[AT] Big round baler?

Bill Bruer bill_bru at bellsouth.net
Thu Jun 30 06:59:41 PDT 2005

For several years, I rented Krone round balers from our local farmers'
Co-Op.  These were the 160 and 260 models which make 5' high X 4' wide
bales.  They will make a very tight roll of 1000-1200 lbs of orchard grass.
These balers seem to require less weaving across the windrow to make a good
looking square-shouldered bale - I was able to look like I knew what I was
doing very quickly.

The Krone is a closed chamber baler that uses a continuous bar and chain.  I
think you can vary the bale size somewhat, but I always made full-size
rolls.  They have a smaller model if you want 4 X 4 rolls.  The balers are
supposed to have about 1/3 fewer moving parts than other brands and require
less h.p. to run.  They seemed to hold up well as rental units.  I liked the
double twine tie system.  Simply yank on a rope to start the tie and it cuts
the twine at the right time.

I sell most of my hay to horse people, as I believe you do, and this is a
good size - 2 bales sit well side-by-side on a 96" wide trailer and a lot of
stables only have smaller tractors to handle the bales with.

I only quit renting because the Co-Op got out of the rental business.  They
still sell Krones and that is what I would buy if I were in the market.

Bill Bruer
Murfreesboro, TN
bill_bru at bellsouth.net