[AJD] I have heard it all now _ John Deere Homes - Very Interesting !!

Kenneth Jones kenejons61 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 27 18:01:18 PDT 2005

Greg,

   I love the cemetery idea.  We could be surrounded by green caskets with inlaid tractor silouette's, green satin inside, stone memorials in the shape of you favorate JD and JD lawn equipment manicuring the green rug above your face. WOW !!!

greg at theoldtractorcompany.com wrote:Ken
OMG. Guess all we can hope now is that JD will get around and get us a JD themed cemetery!
Then we can rest eternally under the JD green!
Yikes!
Greg
Seriously, I bet it will go over just fine.

Greg Stephen
The Old Tractor Company
Stephen Equipment Company
PO Box 709
Franktown, CO 80116
303-663-5246
303-468-0377 FAX<<--GREAT WAY TO REACH ME!

On Fri Jun 24 19:41 , Kenneth Jones sent:

>Get Your John Deere Home, iPod BMW
>John Deere Homes Add New Wrinkle Developers building a slice of suburbia in the piney woods
here have partnered with tractor-builder John Deere in an unusual marketing deal they both hope
will lead to improved sales.

>As part of the partnership, the John Deere name will be featured on the entrance sign for the
subdivision with homes ranging from roughly $375,000 to $500,000. The purchase price includes a
choice of landscape designs prepared and installed by Deere. Thousands of dollars worth of
riding lawnmowers, leaf-blowers and other equipment will fill one of the three garage bays.

>St. Lawrence Homes vice president Rick Ohmann says the John Deere link should amount to a
stamp of approval for people who care about having a beautifully landscaped yard from the day
they move in.
>It was that promise, not the John Deere name, that attracted Joseph Crayton to sign a contract
this month to build a 3,100 square foot house. The banker is moving from Bethesda, Md., to help
start a new Durham-based bank.
>"It wasn't my primary decision-driver, but it was great to have," Crayton, 37, said of the
Deere name associated with his new home. "A lot of us are brand conscious."
>Word of mouth helped sell nine of the first 11 lots in about 50 days, the company said. If the
remaining 51 lots sell strongly, the homebuilder might develop similar projects in Wilmington,
Charlotte and Cincinnati, Ohio.
>John Deere officials look for the strategy to help broaden their products' appeal among people
who may associate the name strictly with tractors and lawnmowers.
>"The ultimate message is to have homeowners consider John Deere as the place they can turn for
all of the things they need to take care of their yard. Right now, we might only be considered
as a place to buy equipment," said Tosh Brinkerhoff with Deere & Co.'s consumer equipment
division in nearby Cary. "We feel like this community is a way that we can showcase our
abilities."
>The pairing is among the latest examples of co-branding, a trend that's moving consumer
markets worldwide.
>It's why Coca-Cola Co. puts NutraSweet's name on its soda cans and Pizza Hut Express
restaurants are in Holiday Inn motels, said Sheri Bridges, a marketing professor at Wake Forest
University.
>"They're borrowing from one another's associations and values and consumer interest. It's
supposed to be mutually beneficial," Bridges said. "The basic idea is the companies are trying
to boost interest, boost credibility and ultimately boost the bottom line."
>Other corporate co-brands:
>
>adidas producing sneakers with rubber soles bearing the Goodyear name
>

>Volkswagen's Beetle and BMW creating an in-car adapter to accept iPod music players by Apple
Computer Inc.

>Delta Air Lines tapping clothing designer Kate Spade for the cabin interiors and flight
attendant uniforms for its new airline, Song

>Austria's D. Swarovski & Co. delivering crystal-encrusted cell phone covers to use on phones
made by South Korea's VK Corp.
>"In general, these things work pretty well when there's some positive associations of the two
brands," Duke University marketing professor Carl Mela said.
>When homebuyers consider living in a new subdivision, often little besides location and price
sets them apart. But Mela said the subdivision marrying Deere and St. Lawrence may be
different.
>"It suggests to me that when I move into this neighborhood there might be a very positive
aesthetic to the yards," Mela said. "John Deere is getting an endorsement that their brand of
lawn equipment is desirable and used by people who want to maintain a positive appearance of
their yard."
>It fits into Deere's broader efforts to expand outside the slow-growing $20 billion
landscaping equipment market into the much faster-growing, higher-margin $100 billion
landscaping market, said Richard Wise, a senior partner at the brand and marketing consulting
firm Lippincott Mercer.
>Deere's Cary-based division posted operating profits of $246 million in 2004, up 8 percent
from the previous year, on sales of $3.7 billion.
>Deere & Co., based in Moline, Ill., moved aggressively into landscaping by buying the two
biggest companies in the landscaping and irrigation industries in 2001, combining their 200
locations and changing their name to John Deere Landscapes, Wise said. John Deere also has put
its brand name on a line of high-profit products such as grass seed.
>Deere now has nearly 300 wholesale landscaping locations. Last month, Deere bought United
Green Mark Inc., which distributes plants, landscaping materials and irrigation equipment in
California and four other states.
>Lending the Deere name to a subdivision, Wise said, "would seem to be a logical extension of
that approach - and kind of an interesting and innovative one."