[AT] Tractors...in Hawaii?

Dave Ernst dadadidi at cccomm.net
Sun Jun 26 15:28:50 PDT 2005

A time long ago I was doing a project for the Corp's of Engineers on a small
island about 800 miles southwest of the Hawaiian Islands. The concrete pump
operator swore he heard strange noises in the engine, so I cot on the phone
and ended talking the Cat dealer there. The engine was a D3208 Cat and they
had one. I thought I had a deal to return it if I didn't need it. (dumb) The
only transportation out there was either by boat or an AF C142 Starliner.
Anyway the engine made it, didn't need it, tried to return it only to be
told it had a 65% restocking fee. Figured they had me over a barrel. Ha.
The engine got put on our barge and ended up in LA.

Bought a boat there too. Had a broken engine and I got it cheap. Loaded it
on one of our returning barges and made arrangements for it to be unloaded
in Honoruru.
The fees were $4000 to dock the barge, $1000 a day dock fee, and $7,500 for
the crane to unload it. All the above owned by Dillingham. Some how the
crane got delayed a week......wonder why??
Ain't never goin' back
Dave E