[AT] engine and tractor auction

kgw gwaugh at wowway.com
Fri Jun 17 20:52:21 PDT 2005

Ralph Goff wrote:
> Gene, your right that it is an engine powered combine. They list it as
> an "LUC" engine. I didn't think much about it being right or left handed
> but in the photo it does appear to be left hand cut which is opposite
> from most pull type combines that I am familiar with.
> Of course there is the possibility of the picture being reversed too as
> I have seen that happen before.
> Interesting you mention an M to pull your combine because thats what a
> local fellow also used on his similar combine. I'd think it would be a
> little under powered (and tractioned) in hilly country.
> And of course live pto would not be a big benefit on one of these
> combines as they had their own source of power. Definitely an advantage
> in the days of tractors with non-live pto.
>
> Ralph in Sask.

Yes, I too wondered if the negative might not have been reversed---I
don't even know if they were available in both versions (right and
left).  The first combine of my recollection was an Oliver with a 5'
swath, but Grandad upgraded to an IH combine in, I supose, the mid 50's.
  My strongest memory of harvest time is that of filling the grease guns
each day---no cartridges, and man, that thing would empty 2-3 grease
guns every day of use!!!  Of course, many of the bearings were simple
bushings, etc., and lube was essential.  My grandfather and Uncle had
very few mechanical problems that I recall, and all that damned grease
must have been part of the reason!!!

Our fields were pretty flat, and the M handled things just fine---mebbe
sometimes you just went a little slower!!  Same thing with the
baler---PTO; my aunt usually drove then, as we needed everyone of us to
get the hay up in the barn.  Oh, what misery that was, high up in the
haymow, right under those tin roofs, in an Indiana summer of heat and
humidity!!!  Good ol days???  Not always!!!  ;-)
--
Gene

Gene Waugh
Elgin, Illinois 60123 USA