[Steam-engine] Direction of rotation

James Mackessy jmackess at twcny.rr.com
Fri Jun 17 12:42:27 PDT 2005

Hi Rick;
     It occurs to me as I re-read the post that there are some exceptions.
If , for instance,
there is a rocker lever between the eccentric rod and valve rod that
reverses the direction of
the valve. This would require the eccentric to be set with the high side on
the opposite side
of the crank throw, but that's a pretty rare case on stationary engines. A
not so rare case is
an inside admission piston valve engine. If I remember correctly, yours is a
slide valve engine,
so the original advice applies.
     If you do not have a copy of Terrell Croft's "Steam Engine Priciples
and Practice", you
should consider getting one. It will give you a good overview of stationary
engines along with
operating and repair info, plus instructions on setting most types of valves
and gears. You
can find it on :
http://www.bookfinder.com
usually for $20.00 or less. Well worth every dime.
Best Regards;
Jim Mackessy