[Steam-engine] Direction of rotation

James Mackessy jmackess at twcny.rr.com
Thu Jun 16 06:35:25 PDT 2005

Rick;
     Generally speaking, the eccentric will lead the crank by 90 degrees
plus the
lead at least, so with the piston on top center, look at the eccentric from
the end
of the shaft, whichever side it is on is the side of the crankshaft that
should be
moving down as the piston makes it's downward stroke. That is, if with the
piston at
top dead center the largest part of the eccentric is on the right side of
the shaft when
viewed from the end, the shaft will rotate clockwise when viewed from that
end. If
the largest part of the eccentric is on the left, counterclockwise. The
eccentric's
high point should be roughly 90 degrees ahead of the crankpin as things
rotate.
Best Regards;
Jim Mackessy