[AT] Tractor hauling

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Fri Jun 10 09:37:18 PDT 2005

I guess my comments were partly just reminiscing and partly to give you
some ideas on solutions to the problem. And you can solve some of those
problems by lining up a local wrecker service guy ahead of time to come
with a rollback truck and winch. The back of truck will be close enough
to the height of tractor-trailer deck so that the load can be
pulled/driven back and then eased down to the ground. With a little
effort on everyone's part, this can be done in a very few minutes and at
a reasonable cost. For loads that are truly static (or too heavy for the
average service station rollback), you can call on a truck recovery
wrecker outfit. (I had to do that once when the load was just too much
for our equipment - a 20 ton trailer was on top of 4 others, and I
couldn't reach it.) It will cost a little more (the time I had to call
on one, the bill came to $300 for half an hours work), but they know
what they are doing and can have a surprisingly ugly/heavy load off the
trailer deck safely and sitting where you want it in a very short time.
  And the rate they charge is likely to be more reasonable if you can
arrange the operation for a weekday. But, as Cecil mentioned, the key is
planning - don't wait until the load is in your yard to try to figure
out how you are going to get it off!

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
mikesloane at verizon.net
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

Heresy is only another word for freedom of thought. -Graham Greene,
novelist and journalist (1904-1991)