[AT] grease in steering gearbox

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Thu Jun 9 19:47:16 PDT 2005

And it doesn't refer to grape juice or cheap wine either, Rog.

Welch plugs are used to seal up machined or cast holes in carburetors,
transmissions, and other low pressure applications where you want to
close up a hole that was put in the product during manufacturing, but
that needs to be closed off during operation.  A "raw" Welch plug is
simply a round disk that has been bent so the center of it bulges.  It's
convex on one side and obviously concave on the other.  You install the
plug into a hole (the hole has to have a counterbore in it) so the
convex side is facing out.  You can then use a hammer and punch to put a
dimple in the center of the plug.  This causes it to expand and grip the
sides of the hole right at the bottom of the counterbore.

When you get a carburetor overhaul kit for many models, it will usually
include brand new Welch plugs so you can use a small cape chisel to
remove the old plugs, clean the inside passages, and then install new
plugs to seal it all off again.

The shifter rail holes on transmissions are usually sealed off with
Welch plugs, too.  On those, you can usually force the plug out with the
shifter rail itself, recondition the plug by forcing a ball bearing into
the center of it while holding the plug over a hole that is smaller than
its outer diameter, and then reinstall the plugs when you put the
shifter rails back together.

Larry