Detergent oil for old engines (was Re: [AT] It's a Cub! Update

Ronald L. Cook rlcook at pionet.net
Wed Jun 8 09:21:33 PDT 2005

Mike,

>If you think about the path that engine oil takes inside most engines, I
>wonder if the fears of "loose crud" are overblown.(snip)

Yep.

>So I would say that the main danger lies in not changing the filter a
>couple of times after changing over from non-detergent to detergent oil.

Right again.

>That is only my guess/opinion, not backed up by one shred of actual fact.
>:-) But I run NAPA 15W40 "Fleet Service" oil in everything from my
>smallest lawn mower to my Farmall 560 diesel and my (IH) 6.9L V8 in my
>F-350 truck - maybe 25 machines, and I have never had an engine failure
>yet in about 35 years.

I do not run NAPA oils nor do I have any Farmall tractors or Ford
pickups.  I did just recently experience a partial engine failure.  A 350ci
Chevrolet engine in a pickup that I have owned since new in October 1972
punched number one rod right out through the oil pan and deposited it on
the left front lower A-frame.  No nut on the rod bolt that came out with
it, and no rod cap, of course.  I assume the missing parts are in the
bottom of the pan.  There was some noise, followed by a whole bunch of
noise, followed by a rough running engine.  Just over 100,000 miles in 32
years.  Danged high detergent oils must have washed those nuts right off
the rod bolts.  Or do you think perhaps some worker at GM didn't have them
torqued properly?  I think the warranty is out.

Ron Cook
Salix, IA