[AT] It's a Cub! Update

Ronald L. Cook rlcook at pionet.net
Wed Jun 8 08:24:50 PDT 2005

I think the problem lies in the name...detergent.  It will sort of clean up
your dirty hands alright, but only by rubbing them together as you would
when washing with soap and water.  Simply pouring "detergent" oil on
something will remove very little if anything.  It will not clean up a
sludged up engine.  What it does is keep contaminates in suspension so the
filter can grab it or you can drain it out.  If something large enough just
happens to be floating around in there that would plug up an oil passage,
then I suppose you could blame the oil.  I am not really sure that is where
the blame lies, however.  I have changed over from "non-detergent" to
dispersing oils in everything from Hit & Miss engines to aircraft
engines.  So far I have had no problems using better oils.

On an oil related subject, I do prefer mineral oils over synthetics.  They
seem to protect against rust better.  Just my couple of cents.

Ron Cook
Salix, IA