[Farmall] F-12 won't die

Karl Olmstead olmstead at ridgenet.net
Wed Jun 8 07:31:30 PDT 2005

The mag's not adjusted quite right.  There's a ski-shaped piece attached to
the moving point back where it attaches to the points cup.  It needs to be
bent so that it just touches the post that protrudes into the points cup...
when the magneto advance/retard lever is fully counter clockwise.  If you'd
like, I can send you a picture of the setup.

Generally speaking, you don't want the impulse involved when you're setting
the timing.  Once the mag is installed what you said is true; the impulse
should trip near TDC on #1 compression stroke.  But while you're getting
engine and mag synchronized, you need to defeat the impulse by either
pulling up the little latch on the impulse, or by turning the magneto
backwards.

Use very light (10-wt) oil on the impulse.  Regular engine oil is too
viscous.  I'll send you a copy of my magneto CD if you'd like; it's free.
Just send me your mailing address offline, Tony.

-Karl