[AT] caterpillar 416 backhoe

D8RMAN at aol.com D8RMAN at aol.com
Tue Jun 7 21:16:08 PDT 2005

Bruce, Being you said it is a Caterpillar 416 backhoe, not 416C, I assume  it
is one of the older ones. The transmission used in this backhoe was a Ford
backhoe transmission, or should I say transaxle. Maybe a Newholland tractor
dealer could help you. I would also contact Caterpillar for a price quote too.
But remember any shotcut that may let the transmission overheat could cost you
 more than any radiator repair or new one purchased. Willard Smith,
UniversityPlace, WA.

Does  anyone know anything about the transmission cooler on a Cat 416 2 wheel

drive hoe? My neighbor has one I want to buy and the only problem is the
tranny cooler runs into the bottom of the radiator and a small amount of
coolant will leak into the fluid and block the filter. No oil shows in the
radiator.  He has bypassed the radiator for now by connecting the  hoses
together. The lines are large the caps needed to cap the radiator  are 3/4
pipe caps.  How much oil flows?  Is there an aftermarket  oil cooler that can
be installed?  I am sure Ma Cat wants 2 arms and  most of a leg for a new
radiator.

I just had the radiator recored  for my Huber, it fixed the heating problem.
That was a couple dollars  change from $400.00

The radiator man suggested getting an auxiliary  tranny cooler for the CAT.

Bruce Fallon
Freeland WA.  98249
bfallon at whidbey.com