[AJD] 40 vs. 'M' Engine Block

Bus Driver mpmbd at yadtel.net
Mon Jun 6 16:10:48 PDT 2005

The aftermarket offers a cylinder head for replacement, the same number for
both the M and 40. The original 40 head had more compression than did the M.
The rare all-fuel option had a very low compression head. So the aftermarket
item is not correct compression for all the applications for which it is
listed- and perhaps not correct for any of them.

Now I have a question. I have a largely parted-out  40T, bought it in that
condition. The engine is said to have been rebuilt shortly before the
tractor was junked. The back flange of the block is broken for the lowest
bolt on the right side. Looks to me as if they might not have had the clutch
aligned, tried to pull the tractor back together with a bolt and snapped off
that bolt flange- just my guess. For a wheel tractor, that part (lower
flange) of the block is the most stressed when serving as the "frame" of the
tractor and for that reason, I hesitate to use the engine as-is in another
wheel tractor. But looking at M and 40 crawlers, the engine appears to be
cantilevered from the rear block flange, no front engine support at all. Is
that correct? If so, this block would be fine for a crawler since the
cantilever stress would be on the top part of the flange. Comments on this?
My thought is that someone needing an engine for crawler might consider this
one to have some value. Or I could find another block, etc.