[AT] New Idea Mower

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Mon Jun 6 05:19:17 PDT 2005

Vaughn,

>From looking at it I would guess it is supposed to be longer and have a
tang that hits the top of the trip release, correct? If so you can buy
spring steel and make up a new one easily enough.  Is that a blind rivet
holding it in or is it a spiral nail type? Either way remove the rivet
and pull that spring out. Plan the new one to wrap a bit tighter since
it looks like that one has spread some. The hole will be the hardest
item since good tempered spring steel is kind of tough. The way around
that is to use a SMALL tip on a torch and heat JUST the area of the hole
to red. Then drill it while it is still warm.
OR if your not really picky and just need it to get the job done, put it
back together and toss a spring on the outside of the housing. Just buy
one at the local farm store or even Lowes or Home Depot have them.

Steve Williams
Near Cooperstown, New York