[AT] OOOPS - Do as I say not as I do - now rambling off topic

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Fri Jul 29 18:26:56 PDT 2005

There are some numbers that get indelibly etched in your head as you
grow up. One that I remember from college days was that a wooden kitchen
match, burned completely from end to end equals one BTU.  I don't know
whether that's true or not, but that was said at an engineering lecture
I attended, I put it in my notes, and it was on the final exam.

Another number I remember is the metabolic heat load of the human body.
I've been remembering 600 Btu/hr for years.  I probably got that number
from Ramsey & Sleeper "Architectural Graphics Standards" 40 years ago.
Along comes George who says it's 428.  Curiosity got the best of me, so
I looked up the numbers on the Internet (we all KNOW that's infallible,
right?)  No BTU/Hr numbers are available -- it's too old of a
measurement for the modern HVAC people.  At first, I couldn't find any
numbers associated with the heat load at all.  I thought I was in one of
those situations like the angle of repose for a pile of loose dirt or
gravel -- everybody knows what it is, but no one wants to put a value on
it.  Finally, I found a table of values from the University of Canberra
for the metabolic heat load of people doing various activities, but it's
all in Watts.  No problem -- the conversion from Watts to BTU/Hr is Pi.
So with values in Watts from 290 to 590, this is the same as about 900
to 1800 BTU/Hr.  That's way off from what either one of us thought.

I think I'll go have a cup of coffee and add to the air-conditioning
load in the house.  !@#$^&*()_

Larry