[AT] OOOPS - Do as I say not as I do

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Thu Jul 28 09:23:21 PDT 2005

Ralph:

On all my gravity feed JD tractors, I have made it a requirement to shut off
the valve at the tank and run the tractor until it stops.  I never know how
long they are going to set unused and there is always a chance of a little
bit of dirt not allowing the needle and seat to have a perfect seal.

Probably the most unused motor on the place is the back-up power generator.
I have also made a habit of shutting off the gas line on it too and letting
it run dry at the end of a session. I paid extra to have an electric start
version with battery. In retrospect that was a waste of money. Repeatedly,
after long periods of non-use, I will turn on the gas valve, wait a few
seconds and then on the first or worst case, the second pull, of the starter
cable it is running. Why am I using the manual start?  The battery went dead
after 6 years or so, even with a trickle charger on it. I haven't seen a
need to replace it.  Knock on wood.

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290

storeroom door