[AJD] 720D Pony Motor Starter Problem

Tom in N Texas tdulin at pulse.net
Thu Jul 21 06:11:08 PDT 2005

Tom,

I'm not sure you can test a starter with a battery charger. You have to
have enough power/acceleration to spin the Bendix gear out against the
spring. Use jumper cables with the battery, to get lots more power.

I like still Bruce Mahr's idea of a slipping clutch. Of course, both
failures require a new Bendix.

In the interest of science, I'd try to find out which, but that's just my
way and hard to justify except for curiosity.

I don't know how to test for a slipping clutch. Maybe re-install the
starter and listen carefully to see if the starter motor is running.
Theoretically, you could lock the Bendix gear with Vise grips or something
and run the starter, but that's dangerous.

There ain't that many different starter Bendix's, You might find one at an
auto store, for less money. original probably made by Delco-Remy.

My two cents,

Tom in North Texas
At 04:40 PM 7/20/05 , you wrote:
>I put it in a bench vise and put 6V from my battery charger to it and the
>bendix gear doesn't kick out into the flywheel. I found a dealer in MO.
>that has
>  a bendix for $37.50. Called another dealer who has one and wants $90.00!
>It pays to call around. Who do you think I'm buying from? Thanks,  Tom

Tom in N Texas, KC5INU,  tdulin at pulse.net, "Nothing Runs like a JD MT Deere",
1949 John Deere MT, JD No. 50 Box Blade,  1954 JD No. 5 Sickle-Bar Mower,
1975 JD 214 Lawn Tractor, 1918-22 JD Dain Horse-Drawn Sickle-Bar Mower