[AT] Some ads from the 7/16 Lancaster Farming

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Mon Jul 18 23:06:16 PDT 2005

Brett:

As a John Deere Collector I'm not sure I could go that far either.  But in
some things they did take a leadership position. I recall as a youngster
that the hand clutch wasn't totally user friendly either. But probably
easier than reaching a foot pedal. More than a few hand clutch levers got
cut and a longer piece welded in to offer a little more leverage for the
smaller folks.

However, there were times on a John Deere when three hands would have been
very helpful. To me the biggest advantage of the hand clutch was the ability
to feather the clutch for that delicate and very small nudge that was
required in either forward or reverse and still have a foot left over for
the brake. And the unique ability to also use the clutch as a brake at
times.

Even though JD didn't encourage the user to use the clutch that way there
were certain situations where that really came in handy. And something that
just became ingrained to be used that way. That function stuck with me even
after not using a two cylinder tractor for almost 40 years. And almost got
me into trouble.

When I was able to get my stuck and parts JD 60 running the first time I was
so pleased with my self I decided to drive it into the barn and park it,
rather than push it in as I had done before I got it running. I pulled in
rather slowly and got to where I wanted to stop and pulled back on the
clutch to disengage it and then somewhat automatically pulled a little
harder to stop the slowly rolling tractor. A habit from 40 years previous.
Well, the clutch was a bit out of whack and instead of slowing the belt
pulley, which will slow/stop the tractor when in gear, as it was supposed
to, it re-engaged the clutch and the tractor took off instead of stopping.
By the time I figured out what was happening and got the brakes applied I
almost went out the other side of the barn. With the door closed. Not
pretty. After I cleaned out my underwear, I figured out what was wrong with
that defective clutch. A unique feature of the JD hand clutch but one that
can come back to bite you. Old 40 year old habits are hard to break!  :-)

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290

storeroom door

www.deerelegacy.com