[AT] O/T Trying to find a good used backhoe

mmman at netscape.com mmman at netscape.com
Sun Jul 17 06:59:48 PDT 2005

Cecil
Any backhoe is better than none at all--but since I have owned them for some 35 years, I will put in my nickle.  I am currently the owner of a Case--580 D that we bought a few years ago from a private oil operator with only 1000 hours on it.  I am happy and it is a good machine. I have owned and rented later model case's and they are good machines and operator friendly.  That said, my favorite machines have been Ford/NH.  I had a 5500, then 2 555's and they are work horses. I believe that they have more breakout force on the hoe and with a good operator, they are the fastest trench machine out there.  Here, they are the second most popular machine behind the Case.  The current NH's have one thing that has some of the local oil field contractors complaining about--the fiberglass hood/cowling.  They tend to get beat up with non owner operators.
I dont care for the Deere's from an operator standpoint.  My son has a 410 and a Case 580K and the Case is always used first.  He works down on lake spillways and tight spots and says the JD is not as easy to put in a hole and get back out.  I can't get used to the feel of operating one.  I have rented Cat's a few times and they are great--but the resale here is CAT and inflated IMHO.
My real dog of a Backhoe loader was a 2586 (I think that was the #) with gas engine.  It used a hydraulic motor to swing the hoe, rather than cylinders and it was gutless.  But at the time, it was my only hoe and better than a sharp stick in the eye.
Brad and I bought a 780, 4wd, extendahoe for his FIL down at Victoria for $14500 and it was a steel--It is just a heavy machine to move around.
If I was buying tomorrow, I would look at Ford/NH then Case.  I would try for 4wd and buy extend-a-hoe if there.
Good luck with the clearing and developing projects.
Looking forward to Portland.
Bear