[AT] new spuds

Cecil Monson cmonson at hvc.rr.com
Sun Jul 10 12:01:22 PDT 2005

> I guess I had a misguided youth or maybe just didn't pay attention.

I stayed clear of anything that wasn't tractor driven as best as I could,

therefore I do not know how to gather some new potatoes without severely

stressing the plant.  As in dang near kill them.  Any advise?  I love new

potatoes and creamed peas.  Just need to have some spuds left for winter.

> Ron Cook
> Salix, IA

	Ron, I hill my potatoes a couple times early in the season -
about up to the point they are too tall to go under the tractor. With
the dirt hilled up around the plant this way, it is easy to just poke
around with your fingers in the soft dirt and locate the potatoes.
Then just a twist and pull and you have them. I've done this for years
without hurting the vines. I agree with you, I like new potatoes any
way at all and especially with creamed peas.

	That AT-6 Texan should make a good workhorse spray rig, huh?

Cecil