[AT] Air Lines

kgw gwaugh at wowway.com
Sat Jul 30 22:37:57 PDT 2005

--
Gene

Yes, this has been discussed (and cussed!!) at length, either here or on
the Stationary Engine List.

It  possible for PVC pipe to break, and if it bursts under pressure, it
can be really dangerous.  Very sharp shards can be blown around.  On the
other hand, many folks have used it with total success.  I know that
some have used PVC for protected runs, and used pipe (steel or copper)
for the drops, etc., where physical damage could occur.

If I was using the black poly pipe used for wells, etc., I would
probably use the 200 psi pipe, for which compression fittings are
available.  I would think that the barbed fittings could be a hassle,
but maybe not.  Although a loose end would whip around, at least it will
not split, separate and become shrapnel.  I speak as a retired plumber
who has seen all sorts of pipe in all sorts of condition.

For myself, I am going to go ahead and use copper (though I have not
priced it lately---has it gone the way of plywood in the past couple
years??  If i had an electric threader, I might use black iron---but I'm
sure not going to thread all of that by hand!  (Why not, I ask myself,
because years ago I certainly would have...guess I get either lazier or
smarter as I age!)

My 2 cents, FWIW, etc etc, blah blah blah

Gene Waugh
Elgin, Illinois 60123 USA