[Steam-engine] International Stationary Steam Engine Society

Rick Rowlands jrrowlands at neo.rr.com
Fri Jul 29 18:34:54 PDT 2005

It is my pleasure to announce that I have assumed duties as US editor of the ISSES Bulletin, the quarterly publication of the International Stationary Steam Engine Society. I take the reigns from Robert Lindquist who has held the position for the past several years.

I first learned of Bob's willingness to pass on the editorship during a visit with him last month and after discussion with the ISSES leadership the change was approved.

I am 31 years of age and my familiarity with stationary steam power comes solely from my involvement with the Tod Engine. My interest in industrial heritage came from a lifelong interest in railroading that evolved into an interest in Youngstown's steel industry.  Upon finding the Tod Engine and saving it I naturally developed an interest in stationary steam.

It has been my opinion that interest in ISSES has waned, at least here in the United States, and I would like to do what I can to change that.   Some of you reading this may have never heard of ISSES before, which will change as I become involved with the rebirth of the organizatrion in the U.S.

As editor I need material to publish.  If there is anything stationary steam related going on in the North American continent please drop me an email and let me know.  Preserved steam, available engines, or even some historical info. is all sought.  I would then forward the articles and news stories to the UK editor who will include the items in the Bulletin.  If nobody sends me any material the membership of ISSES will be doomed to read about large stationary steam power as this is what the bulk of my collection relates to! :-)

Oh by the way go to www.steamenginesociety.org and sned in your membership dues!

Rick Rowlands
Tod Engine Foundation
2261 Hubbard Road
Youngstown, OH  44505
330-728-2799
www.todengine.org

William Tod Co. 34" x 68" x 60" Cross Compound Rolling Mill Engine
Historic Mechanical and Materials Engineering Landmark