[AT] OOOPS - Do as I say not as I do - now rambling off topic

Henry Miller hank at millerfarm.com
Fri Jul 29 19:09:38 PDT 2005

On Friday 29 July 2005 07:02 am, charlie hill wrote:
> I have toyed with the idea of placing a long coil of plastic pipe in a coil
> about 10 feet in the ground with insulated and filtered air shafts coming
> to the surface from each end of the coil.  Then using some sort of air to
> air heat exchanger.  That is just a thought at this point.  I haven't tried
> to actually figure it out.
>
> I actually like oil heat.  Fuel is getting fairly pricey there is always
> fuel oil available in one form or another even if you have to buy diesel
> fuel with the road tax on it.  The new high efficiency oil furnaces (and
> gas too for that matter) have a very high conversion rate and some of them
> even to the point that they use pvc pipe for an exhaust stack.  They can be
> run on a small generator in the case of power outages.

I have a small (~30,000 gallon in spring, 1/3 that in fall) pond in the
backyard.   I'm running some pumps for fountains, and I've toyed with the
idea of running the waterfall pipes into a heat exchanger in the duct work
for cheap AC.

Only reason I haven't done it to see if it would work is I'm thinking about
moving closer to work (and ideally someplace where I can put a barn up for
storage.   Only 31 and already I can't park in the driveway because of all
the other stuff I've got).   Any system I design would freak the average
idiot out, and ruin a sale.   So I try to leave my house boring, but normal.