[Farmall] Farmall A exhaust lift

Paul wm96161 at sccoast.net
Fri Jul 29 06:26:52 PDT 2005

From P.J. South Carolina,

I have read a few requests concerning the exhaust lift on some older Farmall tractors and have a couple comments that may help. Believe it or not, we just retired my Dads 1947 "A" and we are going to restore it back to new condition. It has an exhaust lift. The thing about this type of lift is that it requires some special periodic maintenance. For someone who wants to restore the lift, it needs a good cleaning about once a season by taking the cylinder apart. (cable Make sure you block up the attachments before unhooking the lift cable ). It is prone to accumulating water and carbon in the cylinder which will cause it to drag. We put a small drain valve on the bottom of the cylinder to replace the original threaded plug for periodic draining of accumulated water. Try to keep the carburetor adjusted as lean as possible to help eliminate as much carbon build up as possible. The lift will work slower  if the engine needs a ring job and the pistons have a lot of blow buy. The control valve on the right side of the engine should be removed during restoration and given a good cleaning. The hose that goes from the control valve to the cylinder should be of a heavy gauge. Not rubber garden hose as the heat will eventually cause it to disintegrate.  If working properly, it will lift more weight than you could imagine.