[AT] OOOPS - Do as I say not as I do - now rambling off topic

DAVIESW739 at aol.com DAVIESW739 at aol.com
Thu Jul 28 17:33:41 PDT 2005

Roger this is from my 3rd Gt. Aunt Charlotte's  book about crossing on the
Oregon Trail.
-----
We  had followed the Platte River for a long ways before we came to a big
cottonwood  grove, where we made our camp. Our guide, Capt. Gantt, told us  that
we must cross the river at  that place. We had been in the buffalo  country
for several weeks and our hunters had saved the  green hides to be  ready for
the crossing of the Platte, when we came to it. So the wagons  were  all taken
apart and the wet rawhides were drawn over the big wagon  boxes and nailed,
then they  were placed in the sun till the hides were  drawn as tight as drum
heads. Broken or thin places  were rubbed well with  pitch till the improvised
boats were adjudged fully "sea worthy" and were   launched to be loaded with
our stuff and the running gear and wheels. The  cargoes were then  topped off
with the women and children and the men who  could not swim.

The Platte is a broad river, too broad to be  spanned by ropes in order that
the rude boats  might be reeled in by men or  oxen on the opposite bank. So
short ropes were attached to the  fronts and  the sides of the boats and eight
men, two in front and three at each side,  holding the  ropes in their teeth,
swam and towed the wobbly, tilting  barges to the opposite bank. The men  on
either side served to keep our  barges steady and on an "even keel." They were
to us what  outriggers are  to a surf boat. The two men in front probably
supplied the greater part of the  motive power, so the going was very slow.

When one boat had  crossed, the swimmers went back to help the next in turn.
Back and  forth  they went. My Father and two of my brothers spent the greater
part of the two  weeks in the  water, for it took that long to ferry everyone
 across.

I remember sitting there all tucked up, very comfortable  and contented,
watching the  ripples of the water watching it wash and  splash across my Father's
big broad shoulders. They  looked as white as  milk and his arms seemed so
long and muscular as they drove him against   the strong current of the Platte.
Oh! but I was mighty proud of him.

On the way across one of our swimmers fainted and would have gone  down, if
Father had not  caught him and helped to put him in the boat. So  we made the
trip with only seven helpers. Now  and then our boat would rock  and tilt as
the strong currents caught and attempted to sport with  it.  Then Father would
steady it with one hand while he swam along side of us with  the other.

Some of the men who had extra tender skins and had made  many trips across
and back again,  were many a long day getting rid of the  blisters. My brother
Adam, was blistered so badly that he was quite sick and had  a high fever.
Mother doctored him with flour and cream.

We  crossed on the fourth day of July and Peter H. Burnett who was later the
first  Governor of  California crossed a few minutes later. I remember that
because aunt Rachel, who had gone  over some days before, had a big dinner  all
cooked and ready for us. Someone had killed a  buffalo and aunt had a  great
pan of juicy steaks all broiled and piping hot. We were terribly   hungry and
after the steaks were eaten, we found that they had been broiled over  buffalo
 "chips". Mrs. Burnett was not altogether happy about it. She even  said that
she would have  "starved before shewould have eaten anything  cooked on them
if she had known it". I guess that was not altogether  true,  for a few
mornings later, the Hon. Peter H. was surprised when he had gone out  about daylight
to gather a good supply before other people were up. The boys  said he was
gathering  them in a big white table cloth.

Dry fuel of any kind was very scarce, so even the finicky ones were compelled
to  use  them, and after a time, used them in preference, when other fuel was
 plentiful. They were good  tinder and made beautiful coals that held the
heat for a long time.

Walt Davies
Cooper Hollow  Farm
Monmouth, OR 97361