[AT] OOOPS - Do as I say not as I do - now rambling off topic

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Thu Jul 28 07:44:14 PDT 2005

You're on the right track to eliminate all natural gas in your house,
Farmer.  When we moved into this house 16 years ago, I was not looking
forward to the utility bills, but I was mildly shocked to find that the
all-electric solution for heating, cooling, and cooking saved us money.
This house is over twice the size of the one we moved out of, but the
utility bills are lower.  The big difference -- no gas.  Since we moved
in, we've taken steps to make the use of energy more efficient than it
already was.  All windows and doors have been replaced.  The heat pump
is now a high-efficiency model.  The water heater is high efficiency.
We're replacing all the toilets with pressure flush models, etc.

One of the big helps is the windows.  We had double glazed windows with
the standard unsealed storms, but now all windows and door lights are
triple glazed.  My Dad did triple glazing on the farm house where I was
born in northern Indiana.  Before he did it, he did the calculations on
the energy savings.  It turned out that the utility bill savings in a
single heating season was greater than the total added cost of the
triple glazing at all the windows.  Bottom line, IMHO you can't afford
not to do it.  One of my colleagues at the university decided he needed
to do the same thing to his house, so he's changing out his windows at a
rate of one per year.  He's doing it that way because of the limits on
energy credits on income taxes.  If he does one window per year, he
stays under $1000 per year and can get credits for the whole conversion.
I suspect that he's being a bit short-sighted on that deal.  He probably
would save more money by getting the whole house converted so his
utility bills would be lower immediately.

Before the flames begin, you obviously can't have the house sealed as
well as it ends up being with triple glazed windows if you're using
natural or LP gas for anything inside unless you provide for combustion
air.  That's even taken care of in this house.  It has combustion air
for the fireplace ducted to the hearth and the fireplace liner provides
heat to the house through separate ducting.

Larry