[AT] OOOPS - Do as I say not as I do

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Thu Jul 28 08:33:12 PDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "R Mull" <rbobmull at comcast.net>
To: "Antique tractor email discussion group" <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2005 3:28 AM
Subject: Re: [AT] OOOPS - Do as I say not as I do

>I think what Dean is saying is if you leave your Air compressor with the
>power on and a line starts leaking or burst the compressor will come on
>while you are not around and run until you return and shut it off. Could be
>an hour or several days.

I never considered that possibility and I guess there is a chance of line
failure on the compressor too. Although I turn off the air valve right at
the tank.
On another related note, I wonder how many of you turn off the gas valve on
the fuel tanks of your old tractors? I didn't always turn mine off but a few
episodes of a leaking float valve made it necessary to turn off the valve at
the tank. Gas is getting too expensive to let it soak into the dirt floor of
my shed. Not to mention the environmental damage.
Its even more important on the old JD two cylinder tractor as I found one
day that my crankcase oil level was way high. After draining a half gallon
or so of very thin oil that smelled of stale gas I realized what had
happened and will shortly be draining the whole crankcase. Gas makes a poor
lubricant but at least the crankcase should be clean now.

Ralph in Sask.
http://lgoff.sasktelwebsite.net/