[AT] OOOPS - Do as I say not as I do

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Thu Jul 28 07:08:45 PDT 2005

I always shut off the water when leaving the house for any extended
length of time.  I didn't used to do that, but we had an experience
better than 20 years ago that made believers out of us.

We had just gone to bed on a Sunday night, and all of a sudden we heard
"plink!" and the sound of water running and splashing freely.  I got up
to investigate and found that the tank on the toilet in our master bath
had cracked and water was pouring freely all over the floor.
Fortunately we were home and still awake and I was able to shut the
water off before any real damage resulted.

It's not only freak events like this that can cause problems, but the
supply hoses on an automatic washer are susceptible to sudden failure.
In that same house, we woke up one morning to low water pressure and
rusty water at the faucets.  When I investigated, I found that a pipe in
the crawl space had separated and a 1/2" line was running wide open.  It
turned out that the plumber had missed soldering one joint when the
house was originally constructed.  The joint had held for better than 15
years just by friction, but it finally let go.

So we turn off the water whenever the house is going to be vacant
overnight.  When I come back home and turn it on again, the amount of
flow I can hear in the pipes gives me a quick check on the condition of
the entire system.

Someone commented about wanting to keep the pressure up on their air
system because it saves electricity by not having to pump it back up
from zero.  That's an interesting concept.  :-)

Larry