[AT] Rain (and mold vs burn)

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Wed Jul 27 21:40:50 PDT 2005

Hay barn fires start because of bacteria growing in the damp hay while
it tries to dry. The heat from the bacteria cause the hay to dry and
smolder for a long time. This causes the heat to build until the hay
combusts. The main culprit is packing the mow instead of leaving some
room for air to circulate between the bales. The heat generated would
have room to escape instead of feed itself. It is normal for hay to get
warm as it cures.

If you put really wet hay in the mow it will just rot since the bacteria
haven't started to work yet, they need to get a bit dry first.
In this area we have been real lucky in that many farms have started
using the large round bales and storing most of them outside. Of course
then we get grass fires when they burn off the old hay so it's kind of a
toss up. Although chasing those flames in the grass is a PITA. With a
barn fire it's just protect any close structures and let it burn out.
You can try putting water or foam on it but it usually does little or
nothing  and leaves a BIG mess. Amazingly the insurance companies are
figuring out that it costs MUCH more to demolish and rebuild half a
burnt out structure than to let it burn out and then clean it up.

Steve Williams