[AT] O/T Trying to find a good used backhoe

Cecil Monson cmonson at hvc.rr.com
Mon Jul 25 04:54:55 PDT 2005

	I thought being as quite a few of you commented on my question
about backhoes a couple weeks ago that I would give you an update on
my search.

	After looking at several and looking thru the ads, I narrowed
my search to only those things I was interested in - 4WD, extenda hoe,
4 in 1 clamshell bucket, good cab, 555 Ford or JD or 580 Case and in
the price range of between $10K and $20K. I figured under $10K would be
about worn out and didn't want to put more than $20K into a machine.

	I found plenty to look at and spent last week looking at them.
I was unable to find a decent 555 at all. Every one that looked good
in the ads turned out to be pretty rough. As a matter of fact, I only
found one good 580-K that met all the criteria. Seems to me that good
used backhoes are difficult to find - at least in this area.

	The 580-K I found has good tires all around, has been well
maintained over the years, no loose pins or bushings at all, nice clean
deluxe cab with 4 floodlights in front and two to the rear, all nice
glass, both doors work, no modifications or loose wires or anything
like that and everything works. I looked it over, started it up and
did some digging with it. Even the extenda hoe is still tight. New
teeth on the 2 foot hoe bucket. Clamshell bucket in very good shape
and shows almost no signs of abuse or wear. One new front tire and one
in nearly new condition. Rears have had about 20% wear but are very
good.

	So, I was satisfied and finalized the deal yesterday afternoon
with the owner. It will be delivered to our new homesite Wednesday
or Thursday this week. The deal is nice and clean and includes delivery.
So, the search is over and now I hope I have good luck with it. Thanks
for your comments a couple weeks ago. They helped a lot.

	Just one comment, I also made arrangements with a next door
neighbor to keep the machine at his place until we live there. I know
vandals look for construction machinery on vacant sites and like to
break windows. The neighbor is glad to have it there as he needs help
once in a while too. Yesterday he told me he has a large tree hung up
on another tree and needs help to pull it down. I have a long log chain
for this purpose and can get it down safely for him. One hand helps the
other and make for good neighbors.

Cecil