[AT] smokey 8n

Chris Britton c.britton at worldnet.att.net
Sat Jul 23 10:45:02 PDT 2005

>From: John Wilkens <jwilkens at eoni.com>
>Subject: [AT] She's smokin'--8N
>My 8N starts and runs good (a little rough) and has even 100 psi
>compression.......but she smokes a lot.  With that compression could just
>new rings solve most of the problem or would new sleeves be necessary
>too??    Or could worn valve guides cause all that smoke?   Looking for

Is it black smoke? blue smoke? or white smoke?

Hows' the oil consumption?

Hows' the power?

Does radiator get low?

Black smoke is usually soot / fuel.. too rch a carb setting.  Blue smoke is
oil.. white smoke can be a head gasket.. or cracked head / block.

Black smoke can be adjusted out by working on the carb.  Blue smoke.. well..
depends on how bad it is.  If you don't use hardly any oil.. and do have
good compression.. I'd decide whether icould live with it.. ( probably oil
control ring) Now if it is pumping oil.. I;'d tear down and re-ring and
check liner tolerances.. might as well do crank bearings and rod bearings as
well.. ( get plastigage.. ).

White smoke.. I'd check the head gasket first...

Soundugy