[AT] re: nase / VOM meters

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Fri Jul 22 09:41:16 PDT 2005

Ah, that brings back memories. I still have an Eico 'scope up in the
attic of the barn - it doesn't work, and I suspect that the the power
supply filter capacitors have dried out, among other problems. But I
still have a Browning "oscillosynchrocsope" that dates back to WWII that
I rigged to use as a poor man's ignition analyzer for a few years. I
think it still works about as well as it ever did. And then there is the
RCA "Junior Voltohmist" (a VTVM) that works just fine and is used
regularly when testing model railroad components. And then there are my
dad's "Hi Fi" Macintosh/Sherwood/Gerrard/Altec components that I have
been tempted to sell on eBay but are too heavy/fragile to ship to a
buyer. And the Lafayette Radio stereo receiver, the RCA signal
generator, Heathkit mono amplifier, Heathkit dual trace scope, etc.,
original Apple computers (complete with soft carrying bags), Keypro and
Compaq "portable" PCs, and other stuff I have forgotten about. I suppose
the whole mess will go into a dumpster after I die and someone is stuck
with cleaning out the barn.

Mike

H. L. Staples wrote:
> Someone in this thread mentioned Eico test equipment.  I built several of
> their kits and still have some of them.  Loaned a friend my VTVM and Tube
> tester he kept them for several years then he died and I never got them back
>   I think the Resistance Capacitance bridge is still around somewhere.  I
> did a Google on Eico and found this site.
>
> http://users.rcn.com/fiddler.interport/eico.htm
>

> Take a look if you like.
>

> The old catalog prices seem so ridiculously low today, but when I bought
> them, it was a considerable investment.
>

> Around here some place there are still a couple of Triplets one jeweled
> movement and the other is  a taught band movement with a mirrored scale. The
> most used meters are the Fluke 77 and one of the little cheap digitals that
> use a small 12 volt battery for power.
>

> One of the handiest pieces of test equipment for 12 volt use is the old
> simple test light with ground clip and sharp probe. A higher wattage lamp
> can be used to help find high resistance connections that the digital meter
> will not detect.
>

> "Most test equipment is useless, like a slide rule, if you don't have some
> idea what the results should be."  quite often the results on a hand held
> calculator are way off depending how club fingered I am.
>

> H. L. Staples
>
> McLoud, Oklahoma
>
> USA

Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
mikesloane at verizon.net
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

No society that feeds its children on tales of successful violence can
expect them not to believe that violence in the end is rewarded.
-Margaret Mead, anthropologist (1901-1978)