[AT] RE: What are failed Master Brake Cylinder Symptoms?

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Tue Jul 19 11:27:01 PDT 2005

Andy:

I haven't been able to get back to diagnosing this problem since last
Thursday. Hopefully will get to it again soon. And I don't yet know yet if
I'm really losing fluid during the brake pedal drain down. I lost quite a
bit of fluid bleeding the lines, etc and haven't had time to establish a
baseline of a full MC to determine if I'm pumping fluid somewhere.

My first step will be to plug the new MC to see if it is the culprit or if I
have a failure in the Vacuum Assist unit or elsewhere. The Vacuum Assist is
under the floor and strangely there are two of them. It appears one has been
jury rigged in a location that is non-standard and another that looks
somewhat factory issue. However, the line connections lead me to believe the
factory location unit is the operative unit not the add-on. What is strange
is it appears from a preliminary inspection that both were in operation at
one time. The hoses and pipes appear to go to both simultaneously but the
outlet of one is disconnected.  I haven't figured out if it was a redundant
system at one time or what the heck the plumbing really did or does.

If I can narrow the problem down to the Vacuum Assist area, then I will have
to try to figure out the plumbing jigsaw puzzle.

The brake pedal does go all the way down w/o resistance until it is pumped
up repeatedly. But then does fade under pressure. However, it does return to
the neutral position by itself. What has me a bit baffled at the moment is
the new MC didn't change things much at all. Either I have a defective new
MC or problems elsewhere. The intended test with a plugged outlet on the new
MC will isolate that component.

The wheel cylinders and the mechanical linkages, and adjusters were all
redone on this truck a couple of years ago. But as far as I know the MC and
the Vacuum Assist were not refurbished or replaced.

My present guess is it is related to the Vacuum Assist unit somehow. All I
need is some available time right now to do more diagnostic work.

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290

storeroom door

www.deerelegacy.com