[AT] RE: What are failed Master Brake Cylinder Symptoms?

Andy Glines andyglines at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 19 05:47:18 PDT 2005

Dean, you have gotten some good ideas from the list.  I Don't remember you
telling us where the fluid went.  Did you find where it lealed out?  Is
yours one with the booster mounted on the firewall of the truck or does it
have the hydrovac unit under the floor?  Have you looked at the back side of
each wheel to look for leaks at the wheel cylinders?  When you refilled the
MC and drove it how did it do?  I've had two MC fail on me the first one
allowed the pedal to go to the floor with no brakes.  I could pull the pedal
back up with my foot and might have brakes on the next try.  Probably a bad
check valve (1976 3/4 chevy).  On my 1973 Loadstar 1700 the pedal would
travel down but not return.  I found that the rubber piece on the piston had
swollen and was sticking in the bore.  I suspect that someone put oil in the
MC instead of brake fluid.  I will rebuild the entire brake system on this
truck before putting it on the road.