[AT] Phosporic acid and cleaning a gas tank

David Myers walking_tractor at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 18 18:41:53 PDT 2005

--- Kyle Sands <willys_46 at mail.com> wrote:

  I had just heard that phosporic acid
> would leave a protective coating which would negate
> the need to put in a tank liner.

Kyle, I just remembered (hey, it happens!!) phosphoric
acid NEEDS RUST!  The protective product is iron
phosphate, I believe.  If you have no iron oxide to
work with the acid can't work properly.  You don't
want flaky layers but you do need a light layer.
I realize it's to late for this job but there's always
next time.

Dave