[AT] OT: I.C.E. on your cell phone

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Sat Jul 16 08:42:57 PDT 2005

http://www.komotv.com/stories/37952.htm

This is something that might be a good idea for folks with cell phones.

SEATTLE - A unique campaign is gaining a lot of momentum in England in
the wake of last week's deadly bombings. The effort involves how your
cell phone could actually help save your life.

Since the tragedy a week ago today, cell phone users in England are
being urged to program in a new number, and label that number with the
letters I-C-E. That stands for "In case of emergency."

If you become unconscious, rescuers could scroll through your phone, and
know exactly who to call, gleaning information that could potentially
save your life.

I asked Jim Bowman at King County's 911 Center if he's ever heard of
"ICE?"

"No, I haven't," Bowman responded.

But he really likes the idea.

"I'll bring it up with my boss today," Bowman said. "It sounds like
something she'll probably want to promote."

And well before any official campaign begins here. "In fact, I'll
probably do my phone when we're through talking," Bowman told KOMO News.

"If there is a number in their phone, an 'ICE' number, we can use that
as a tool," says Seattle Fire Captain Preston Bang, who says it could
help in a variety of situations. "Something as simple as a car accident,
or maybe as complex as a subway bombing."

It may take a while to catch on, and any campaign here will take time to
develop, but you can help start the life saving conversation by
programming your ICE number right now.

**NOTE As of 3:30pm Thursday, I've received numerous email responses to
the article, each with a suggestion on how to make your "ICE" number a
little more visible to a rescuer or police officer. One of the best
suggestions is putting a dot or "." before the letters "I-C-E." By doing
this, your "ICE" number will be at the very top of your phone book, thus
very easy to spot. Another thing: Many cell phones won't let you put in
the same number twice, so try what I tried. If your "ICE" is the same
number as someone else on your list, just put a "1" in front of the area
code and phone number...much like you would if you were dialing from a
"land line." Your cell doesn't care whether you use a "1" or not most of
the time. Several have said they'll be passing this story along to
co-workers to help get the word out. One of the best ways to do this is
click on the link under the picture of the cell phone. In the section
marked "Tools," click on "Email this story." -BC

Steve Williams
Near Cooperstown, New York