[AT] Lapping Valves for Air Compressor

Pete Celano petecelano at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 15 09:00:10 PDT 2005

I was an air compressor mechanic in a previous life.  It's been a LONG
time, but...

When you are doing the lapping, use a figure-8 pattern to achieve a
cross hatch, and rotate the valve often.  Otherwise you won't get it
flat.  The valve seats need to be handled the same way, being very
careful to randomly rotate as you do the lapping.

If you don't see any spots, you are flat and shouldn't have any problem.
  You don't need a mirror finish or anything.

Are you replacing the valve springs?