[AT] RE: Vintage tractor pulling advice

DAVIESW739 at aol.com DAVIESW739 at aol.com
Thu Jul 14 09:36:23 PDT 2005

Mathew,
Your case is rated at  19.1 drawbar HP the lawn tractor is rated at engine
HP.
That means the case  tractor can lift 19.1 tons 1 ft. in 1 minute. gearing is
important here.
The  lawn tractor has a theorecticle HP rating of 26 that means its possible
to lift  26 tons 1 ft. in 1 minute.
You then have to remember the tractor has lower  gearing and more traction
that will pull more.
There are lots of ways to  measure HP but tractor have always used the
drawbar system because we want to  know if it will pull a 1 2 or 5 bottom plow.
the new Case 450 is rated at  450 engine HP I am told that this would about
15% less for drawbar HP.
In  the 60s and early 70s GMC put out theorecticle HP on their cars to make
them  seem as good as the big Dodges but it never held up on the drag strip.
Funny the  Gov. stepped in and said that they had to use actual HP and the same
engines  were were cut by more than 50% in HP.
You are right though its up to the  manufacture to guess at what the HP is an
the better the guess the more the  HP.

Walt Davies
Cooper Hollow Farm
Monmouth, OR 97361