[AT] RE: Vintage tractor pulling advice

Matthew matthewx at dogod.com
Thu Jul 14 06:48:48 PDT 2005

>A favorite scene of mine at a pull at the Nebr State Fair was when the huge,
>supercharged tractors got a sled loaded with concrete blocks skewed on the
>track.  They couldn't get it straightened out with tractors so they brought
>in the real muscle...two huge pulling horses, who got the sled straightened
>out as if they were moving a couple hay bales.  I love old tractors and have
>little affection for horses, but the big draft animals really do appeal to
>me.
>
>Rog

I wonder how many horsepower they where?

Which brings up a side question about horsepower..  When did they start
the massive cheating on horsepower ratings?  I have an old Case VAC that is rated at well under 30 HP and I have a newish lawn tractor that is rated at 26.
The Case can pull pretty much anything I ask it to, or make a mess out of
the ground trying.  Lets just say that the lawn tractor must be using much
smaller horses...

--Matthew

~