[AT] Ford Tractor serial #'s

Carl Tatlock carllary at Surfglobal.net
Thu Jul 14 05:26:55 PDT 2005

D8RMAN at aol.com wrote:

>Can anyone tell me if this is a 9N serial#? (Serial #     9N53b7I    Can't
>tell if that b is a 6...Look's like there may have  been another digit at the
>end.)

The guys at the factory who stamped serial numbers used all sorts of
combinations of numbers as wekl as letters; a b looked like a 6 so they
used it.  L's were sometimes ones, as were I's.   Makes it fun trying to
decipher them-- especially after years of rust and paint filled them in.
All numbers were stamped by hand-- maybe they just did it  for fun-- at
300 tractors or more a day, it must have been a temptation to get
creative...     The site you were directed to is the best for N owners I
think.  Google Will Smiths  site (www.8Nford.com) for very complete and
accurate N information.    Great idea on the runningboards--  speaking
from an "elder person's" perspective.